Monday, January 5, 2009

Wanting what you can't have

What is it about human nature that makes lots of people (me included, apparently) want things they can't have? Is it stubbornness? Greed? I wonder. Right now what I am really wanting but can't have is a snack. LOL!! I have my 28th week lab work tomorrow and I am supposed to go in with nothing to eat or drink for 12 hours prior. Most nights, I don't even think about food or a snack after 8:30 or so. But of course, today, since it's a no-no I have felt like I was starving for the last couple of hours. What makes it worse is knowing that first thing tomorrow I'll have to do a glucose tolerance test. For those reading not already familar with what this is I'll have to drink a very sweet, almost syrupy drink. They draw my blood before the test and then again one hour after I've drank the stuff to see how well my body processes the sugar. Not processing it adequately can be a sign of gestational diabetes. I've heard and read horror stories about how gross the drink is, so I'm not looking forward to it. But, it needs to be done to make sure this pregnancy hasn't caused me to have any kind of diabetes. My mom and several relatives having it so it will be worth the icky taste to make sure me and Jackson stay healthy for the next 3 months. I just hope I don't get the same lab tech I had the last time I had to have blood drawn. She was finally able to get a blood draw only after she stuck me a total of five times. In the process she made a comment about how I "have horrible veins". Ummm, ok. Since my surgery in July and then finidng out I am pregnant, I have had blood drawn numerous times and she's the only one who ever had a problem. Do you think the problem was my "horrible" veins, or her? That's what I thought, too. if it's her tomorrow, she gets one chance and then I ask for someone else to do the draw. Yes, I'll admit to being cranky and hormonal. In other goings on this week: I am set to call in to my appeals hearing on Friday morning to see if they will uphold me receiving unemployment benefits or not. Of course, I won't know the answer after the call Friday. The information I have says the decision should be mailed to me within 14 days of the hearing. I am not a very patient person and not looking forward to waiting. I've been spending time getting my notes gathered and making sure I have al my bases covered. Prayers and good thoughts sent my way on Friday morning would be much appreciated. In happier news, I'm getting together a list of addresses to give to the ladies who will be throwing a baby shower for me. I'm pretty excited about that! I love baby showers and wedding showers. I'm excited to get things all ready for Jackson's arrival. my nephew will be 3 months old next week, and he outgrows his clothes so fast, I may not have to buy clothes for a long while! My brother mentioned just the other day that they almost had another sack full to bring to me. I am still sending out resumes but so far nothing new on the job search front. (Not that I really expect anyone to actually hire me after seeing that I am pregnant and would need leave shortly after starting.) I'm keeping busy though. Been cleaning out closets and organizing dressers. Also caught up on several "chick" movies that Daniel never really showed any interest in seeing. All in all, things are pretty good. Of course, I miss Daniel and wish I could talk to him more often, but I know that goes with the territory of deployments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's probably too late for today's appt - but it REALLY really helps if you're well hydrated before blood draws. Also, being warm helps your veins pop out.

I would've told the tech to take a leap after the third poke. I have no patience for needles, they stress me out.

I'm still praying for you :)