A while back, I had posted a few blogs with a theme of things you don't want to hear while your husband is deployed. I haven't really had anything new to add to that category until now. But now, the latest addition to things you don't want to hear:
A silent telephone.
For the most part, Daniel has been able to call home about once a week, give or take a day or two. However, for whatever reasons it's been almost two weeks since I've heard from him. I'm trying not to worry and get anxious about it, but it's hard going those extra days not knowing what's going on and how he's doing. I'm sure it's just a matter of his being busy, phone lines being tied up, etc, but each day that goes by without that call just gets harder and harder. My imagination runs wild and I find myself watching the news more and reading online headlines more often to see if I can find any reason to explain the silence. A very good friend of mine is in the NC National Guard, and he's pointed out to me before that with the Army "no news is good news" and logically, I know that's true. But in reality, it doesn't make it any easier to deal with. Then of course, there's the inevitable occurrence of the phone ringing, caller ID shows that it's an unknown number, and I get my hopes up and answer just to find out that it's some automated recording trying to sell a car warranty, or telling me it's my last chance to take advantage of xyz. (I'm going to try and avoid the whole subject of why the do not call list doesn't keep these calls from making it through to me.) Someone asked me the other day how I'm doing with Daniel gone, and I told them the truth...some days are easier than others, and some days are really hard. Looks like it's going to be a stretch of those really hard days until he is able to call me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment