Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Well, that's over and done with

Tonight I am having some mixed emotions. I'm a little sad, a lot relieved, kinda bummed, and just kinda "there". I have volunteered as a Girl Scout leader for the last 5 years. For the last three, I've served in some capacity or another as a member of the local GS service unit (local area troops who coordinate events/activities for the area girls.) Well, as of tonight, I am officially done as gs leader and volunteer. All this drama started several months ago, when the council I was part of merged with another council in the state. it hasn't been good from day one. People that I had grown to know and love that worked for the council were out of jobs, the "new" council seemed, from the get-go, to be not as friendly as the old. Now, i will admit, no one likes change, and I definately don't buck that trend. I admit that I usually hate change. But, I honestly can say that I did try to understand the new policies and procedures, and even though I personally thought many of the changes were assinine, I kept reminding myself to be flexible, and maybe it would all work out. As far as I'm concerned, not only has it not worked out, but the changes and pure crap are now worse than ever. Around the time I found out I was pregnant was when I made the decision to step down from the service unit level. At that point, I was acting as the service unit manger, treasurer, and in charge of product sales for our area. I knew being pregnant plus those jobs would be too much...add in the stress and frustration of all the changes that were being crammed down our throats, and I knew I had to step back. I planned on keeping my troop. But in order to have a troop you have to have a minimum of 5 girls. I had 5 show up for the first meeting I had, and they were excited and ready to go. We even made plans to go on a campout in October. But, that was almost two weeks ago and I'm still waiting on some of them to turn in registration forms. I talked to my friend and co-leader about it and we decided if we have to beg and plead to get forms turned in, it's not gonna be worth it. Those same girls would be pretty likely to not show up for meetings and events, and it's just not that much fun when you have only 2-3 girls who show up on a regular basis. I'm sad, especially over the girls I have called "my girls" since they were in 2nd grade. Not to mention that free time I gained by giving up the service unit stuff has now been added to. (Maybe I should learn to knit or something.) But in a lot of ways, I am relieved. As much as I hate to lose my girls, I know they aren't just gonna disappear from my life. Heck, they are too excited about the new baby. (I think I may have baby-sitters for life.) I know I'll keep in touch with them, and that they aren't just going to be completely bored to tears; they have plenty of other things to do to keep them busy. But I am a little sad. Over the years I think I have learned just as much from them as I hope they have from me. I am so proud of the beautiful young ladies that they have become. I know I can't take credit for that, but I hope someday they will look back and have great memories of me and the times we had. I know I will. I have had a blast with these girls. I also am thankful for the wonderful friendships I have formed with other leaders while I volunteered. If it weren't for GS I wouldn't have met some of the people I now consider my closest friends. So, if you are one of those people and are reading this crazy blog of mine, Love ya!! I'm gonna quit now, because my pregnancy hormones and being all sappy has got me crying. But thanks for the memories.

1 comment:

MommyMerchant said...

Awww, I'm so happy/sad/bummed/relieved/excited for you!