....from all the political talk. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a great privelege that we are allowed to vote for the people who will represent us in our government. But I will be glad come tomorrow when all the political ads are gone from the airwaves. I wouldn't mind them as much if they were free of the mudslinging and half-truths. I'm also tired of other people pushing their political beliefs at me. Today at lunch, I was minding my own business. Three older ladies were leaving a table next to mine. One of them looked at me, wagged her finger in my direction and said to her friends "ut-oh girls, here's one who hasn't voted yet." Then to me directly she said "I hope you won't ignore your responsibility as a citizen to go vote." OK, first of all, is she psychic? Why did she think I hadn't voted? (At that point in time, I hadn't yet, but she didn't know my plans or schedule for the day.) I think she assumed I hadn't voted simply because I wasn't wearing an "I voted" sticker, as she and her friends were. Second, for all she knew I wasn't a US citizen or wasn't registrered to vote. It irked me so I just smiled at her and said "of course I'm going to vote...I just have to decide whether to write in Kermit the Frog or Barney the Dinosaur as my choice." Yes, I know that was rude of me and you are supposed to respect your elders. And I usually am very respectful. But today I was in a bad mood. My husband is 7,400 miles away, I'm hormonal and I'm sick and feel awful. So no, I wasn't very nice. I'm not particularly proud of it, but what's done is done.
I'm also tired of people assuming I have certain political views and support certain candidates based on the fact that my husband is military. Yes, that does play a factor in my views, but it's not the one defining aspect. But I have had Democrats and Republicans alike assume they know how I vote/what I think just because I am married to a soldier. I usually make it a point to steer clear of political conversations but at the times when it is unavoidable I find myself making comments that don't tie me down to any one view. Not that I am ashamed of my views, I just believe they are personal and shouldn't be fodder for public discussion and dissection. As such I make it a point to not ask people their views. I wish others would take the same approach. Unless I am 100% certain how someone feels I don't broach the subject. And even if I am certain, I usually still don't discuss it.
That's my political rant for the day. And that's probably as political I will ever get on this blog. Oh, and by the way, even after I did vote, I didn't wear the "I voted" sticker. It wouldn't stay on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
HA, i love your comment to the ladies.. I didn't wear my sticker after i voted anyways!
I am a FIRM believer in our constitutional write to a secret ballot. I don't even tell my husband or my daughter who I vote for, and as a follow-up to that I very rarely comment on anything political. It doesn't mean I don't have an opinion, it just means I enjoy to the freedom afforded me to share it...or not!
You go girl!
Post a Comment