Friday, November 14, 2008
Just when you think it's falling into place....
...it all falls apart again. Back in August, when I first found out I was pregnant, I had a choice to make. I could have either kept it from my boss as long as possible, or tell her pretty soon. I decided to tell her right away. I didn't want to take a chance on having morning sickness and her guessing on her own. When I told her, she asked my due date. Which is April 4, which is right in the heat of tax season crunch time. (I work for a CPA for those reading who may not know.) She asked my plans about work, and I told her, honestly, I might add, that I planned to work as long as I could as long as my doctor ok'd it. Hopefully up through the end of March. Her reaction to that was to tell me she would need someone who could be there through the entire tax season and that we would look at me staying at my job until the end of the year. In a sense I understand her reasoning, but at the same time I was still pissed about it. She pretty much told me she would be firing me because I am pregnant. Which is completely and totally illegal. Back then, I made a few phone calls and inquiries and was pretty much told that because I live and work in an "at will employment" state, I can be let go at any time, for any reason. Yes, I may know that it's because I'm pregnant but pregnancy discrimination is just about impossible to prove. That coupled with the fact that the company is too small for qualification under the family medical leave act pretty much summed up that I was screwed. Ok, fine, I resolved myself to it. Today my boss asked me to come in to her office for a minute. she then proceeded to tell me that she knew we had discussed my staying until the end of the year, but she had found someone she wanted to hire and this person would be starting on the 24, therefore I would no longer be needed after next week. But she'll go ahead and pay me through the end of the month. Well that's all well and good, but what the hell am I supposed to do minus the extra MONTH of my income that I am now going to be without? When I planned budgets and things, I had included my pay for the month of December based on our first conversation. Now I am out that additional income. Not to mention the fact that Daniel should be getting paid more while he is overseas (combat zone pay and something else...family seperation, I think) that hasn't kicked in yet. Ugh. I swear, if it's not one thing it's another. Just when I got used to Daniel being gone and getting into the routine of things, this comes at me. When I got off work today I just kept thinking "I want my husband. He can hug me and tell me things will be ok." But I can't even call him, I have to wait until he calls me or checks his email. I am so annoyed right now. I don't need this additional stress on top of everything else I have going on. I guess I'll spend this weekend looking back over my budget and tweaking it to remove that extra month's salary I won't be getting. (I won't even go into how it was made to seem like this is all in MY best interest so I can have extra time to get ready for the baby.) Ugh...just needed to vent for a while.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
thats jacked up! thats one bad thing about this state (being a hire and fire at will).. we have been in that situation before, stacey is actually going through that now at her job. she works for hospice, and they told her last week that she would have to be transferred to homehealth, she said what if i don't want to, they said well then we will accept your resignation! she doesn't want to do home health, but looks like she may have too. good luck!
It also makes it very easy to qualify for unemployment...and much to employers dislike, it is very hard to get a former employee disqualified from collecting unemployment, too! So...make sure you get yourself down to the unemployment office the very first day you are no longer working. Something is better then nothing!
Post a Comment