Wednesday, August 27, 2008

It's been a few days....

.... so I will try and update as to what's been going on. First of all, Daniel left last weekend. He made a comment that to him it all felt somewhat surreal. To me, it all felt much too real. It was really odd the way they worked it. Daniel had been in Weatherford all week. They released them Thursday afternoon with instructions to be in formation at 7:30 pm Friday. So, he came home and we got to spend some more time together. We got to Weatherford and they had their formation. There were a few announcements and then it was "ok, spend some last time with your families before the buses get here." The only thing with that was, the buses didn't get there until around midnight or so. So, for a little more than four hours it was pretty much stand and sit around and wait. There was a table with family information (red cross info, family readiness group stuff) and a few organizations from the Weatherford community were there giving out bottled water, popcorn and ice cream. I saw some kids running around with faces painted, and at one point three clowns showed up. But there really wasn't anything to do, other than sit and wait. I would have much rather prefered that formation been at 10 pm or something like that so that we could have left the house later than we did. But, I'm not in charge. So, there were several points in the night where I felt like I wanted to cry, but I kept holding back. But, after the buses arrived and the soldiers were assigned to their bus and got their gear loaded, there was about an hour left before departure time. That was when I couldn't hold back the tears anymore. It was incredibly hard to watch Daniel get on that bus to leave, even though I knew that this time it's only for a couple of months. Once the buses pulled away I almost felt like I couldn't breathe, it hurt too much. Thankfully my Mom was there so I wouldn't have to drive home by myself. She just held me in a hug and let me cry. Once they are done with training at Fort Hood, he'll be able to come home for a few days before they leave to head overseas. As much as it hurt to say goodbye this time, I don't even want to think how hard that one is going to be. But, I will cross that bridge when I get to it. So far Daniel's been able to call me every evening. He said they are working pretty hard getting stuff done and taken care of. On Sunday, he got the smallpox vaccine. Last night he mentioned a flu shot, so I think he got one of those too. He's going to the dentist Thursday. At first, he was hearing that on the few days break they get between training and flying over it would be up individual soldiers to find a way home, but then they came up with charter buses. Thank goodness. I would have been able to drive down, but it would have been a pain in neck for me to make that trip since I am currently in the "gotta go to the bathroom every time I turn around" phase of this pregnancy. (more on that later.) Dates aren't definate yet, but sometime mid to late October looks to be the timeframe.

OK, now onto the pregnancy update. I went to the doctor Tuesday, and he said everything seems to be great. I had gone in to see his nurse on the 8th to do all the preliminary stuff - family history, 20 questions, that sorta thing. They did bloodwork at both appointments. The nurse called today to tell me that from the 8th to the 26th my hormone level had multiplied by more than 500%, so she said that's great. Those of you who've been around me the last few winters will probably remember my losing my voice/coughing my head off with bronchitis every year for the last four years. I discussed that with the doctor and he said I need to get a flu shot, and that if I do get bronchitis there are treatments available that will be safe for me to take. But I know how miserable I get with bronchitis, I don't wanna feel that way plus have the discomforts of pregnancy. So here's hoping and praying that the bronchitis stays away this year. So, so far everything with the baby is good. I haven't experienced much of the dreaded morning sickness. (knock on wood!) I have had several times of feeling queasy, but the actual "sickness" is usually only once a day and doesn't happen every single day. My only real complaint is that I am TIRED!! But I have cut way back on the level at which I volunteer with Girl Scouts, so I shouldn't have so much running around to do for that. I still have my troop, but I have a great co-leader so I know I can delegate lots to her to do. I'm not doing any of the planning and event prep for area wide events like I've done the last couple of years. Maybe at some point I will get back to that, but not until my life settles down and the new council rules are ironed out.

Hmmm...ok, I think that's just about all. Nothing else major to report here, so I am gonna wrap up this post and get some rest. Thanks to everyone who has called or emailed to check and see how I'm doing the last few days. I know I am stubborn and I usually say I'm fine no matter what, but it really does mean a lot to get those calls or emails and know y'all are thinking of me. Love y'all!

No comments: