Thursday, May 29, 2008

THAT was tough!

So, yesterday, my mom and I were talking about the big ceremony that will be held for the 45th Fires Brigade before they leave to head to Fort Hood. (FYI, it's rumored that it will be held on Saturday, August 16. This is the big one for the whole brigade. Last year's was held at Lloyd Noble Center. I've heard Cox Center in OKC mentioned.) Anyway, Mom and I were talking, and my 5 year old niece heard us and asked why her uncle Daniel was gonna have ceremony. Until now, I am sure she and my 7 year old nephew have heard us mention things, but neither of them had ever asked or wanted more information. I was trying to explain to her that Uncle Daniel will be leaving in a few months, and before he goes, there will be a big thing for him and the other soldiers. She asked how long he'll be gone. I told her more than a year. Her eyes got huge, but she didn't ask any further questions. Then she asked when the goodbye thing will be. I told her not until after school starts again, that she has all summer until it happens. Of course, the whole time I was fighting back tears trying to explain it to her. She took it at face value, Uncle Daniel's gonna have to leave for a while, and before he goes, there's a goodbye "party". Easy enough. If only it were that simple.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, to be able to view the world through the eyes of a 5 year old again.