Monday, May 19, 2008

Got plans?

Well, in a couple of days, Daniel leaves for almost 3 weeks. He'll be going to Camp Gruber, which is over near Muskogee. Pre-deployment training. A few days ago, he had to inventory all his gear and supplies to make sure what he actually has matches the list of what he is supposed to have. And, he gets to haul it all with him. They have some kind of check-off there and if you are missing anything on your list, you are charged for it. I don't want him to forget anything.....don't want him in trouble. But, if he does forget something, I hope it's one of the cheaper items and not something big like the body armor. I guess this is sort of a trial run for August when he leaves for a longer time. It's kind of strange....in a lot of ways, I am used to him being gone. Even during regular, non National Guard times, we hardly see each other during the week. He works nights, and with our schedules, it's not that uncommon for us to go several days with just quick phone conversations during breaks at work. Add that to the fact that within the last couple of years, there have been several times he was gone for extended times (working the border in New Mexico for a month, helping with training at Camp Gruber, etc) it's not that tough on me most times. I guess I'm just used to it. Now, August will be harder, since it's more of an extended time away, and I know it's preparation for being gone much further away, and for a much longer time. But the shorter ones don't bother me so much anymore. (I just hate, hate, hate doing yardwork and I know it will need to be done while he's gone. If anyone wants to volunteer, call me! haha. Yeah right. A girl can dream, can't she?)

I will have my last meeting of the current school year with my Girl Scout troop tonight. Then I have a final leaders meeting in a couple of weeks. Tonight is pretty much just an end of year party...nothing too difficult to plan. And the leaders meeting is nothing more than "turn in your financial reports and make sure I have your number for next year." Then I am done with any planning and preparations for about a month and half. I love volunteering with GS, but I need this break. The only bad part about the break is the fact that it times with Daniel's leaving. I'll enjoy being carefree and lazy for a couple of days, but then I will get BORED! So if any of my friends and family reading this have thought about visiting, now's a good time. Call me. Or come see me. While you're there, if you just can't resist the urge to grab a lawnmower, I won't stop you. (ok, I'm sure no one has this irresistable urge to mow my yard, but you can't blame a girl for trying.) All lawn mowing jokes aside, let me know if you wanna do dinner, have a chat, get dragged along to the race track with me, whatever. I know that blogs are accesible to any and every one who randomly finds it and reads, so I'll just say that the people this applies to know how to reach me by phone or email. Sorry weird internet strangers...the offer doesn't apply to you.

I'm sure I will update later this week, but just in case I don't, or I forget, I hope everyone has a safe and fun Memorial Day weekend. And remember, it's much more than just a free pass for a three day weekend. So take a minute to remember those who are gone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christy -- If you lived closer, we'd find things to do to keep you busy, and I might even convince my 19 year old to cut the grass for you. I've been thinking about you and Daniel.

Terri