Sunday, February 15, 2009

Taking Things for Granted

Everyone, at some point in time, takes things for granted. Whether its something material or something (or someone) more significant, we are all guilty of doing so. Even those of us who don't want to admit it. This morning on my way to church, I stopped to get something to drink, and I overheard a woman talking on her cell phone. She was complaining to someone on the other end, and I heard her say "all he did for Valentine's Day was take me to dinner here in town." I bit my tongue to keep from commenting that I would have been thrilled to have my husband home to take me to dinner, even if it was only McDonalds. There's a message board I read for expectant mothers, and of course one of the recent topics centered around what everyone got for Valentine's Day. Let me tell you, some of those women are kinda spoiled. I don't say that out of jealousy over what they received, but more out of shock at some of the "he didn't do enough" attitudes. I have, somehow, refrained from posting my own message to tell them to shut up and be thankful their husband hasn't been out of the country for the last several months, with many more to go before he is home for good. Since Daniel's been gone, I realized there are several things that he usually does that I took for granted. Mostly they are the little things, like taking out the trash, switching the clothes over from the washer to the dryer for me (for some reason, I tend to try and forget)and just other things that make life in general more convenient. Although I hate to admit it, I now realize that I did take lots of those things for granted. Realizing those things that he did has also made me look around and see other things that I've overlooked. I won't bore you by listing them here, but I will say it's more than I would have guessed when I started to think about it. I usually try not to get too "sermon-ish" on here, but I will say this: If you are reading this, I hope you take a minute to think of the people or things you may be taking for granted without even realizing what you are doing. And take a few minutes to appreciate those people and things. And Daniel, thank you for always taking care of the little things for me when you are home. I love you.

No comments: